Now that you’ve found your perfect tree, it’s time to take it home and enjoy it. To maximize freshness and quality, follow these tips for caring for your tree:
- Protect your tree from sun, wind and salt on the drive home.
- If you won’t be decorating for a few days, keep the tree in an unheated garage or porch. If this is not an option, keep the tree outdoors but away from the drying effects of wind and sun.
- Before bringing your tree indoors, make a fresh cut of at least 5 cm off the base of the trunk so the tree can absorb water easily. Care for your tree as you would fresh flowers!
- Place your tree in a stand that holds at least 5 litres (1 gallon) of water.
- Water your tree daily with tap water. No additives are needed! Some, like sugar, can be detrimental.
- Don’t let the water level drop below the base of the tree or the trunk could seal over, minimizing further water uptake.
- Don’t place your tree near heat sources.
- Use only CSA approved lighting sets and when purchasing new ornaments, check the labels to determine flame retardant ratings. Check lights and sockets every year. A well-watered tree will never burn, but faulty lights cannot make the same claim.
- Turn your tree lights off at bedtime and when you leave the room.
- Last but not least, enjoy the beauty and fragrance of your tree!
Do you live in an apartment building?
Regardless of what you may have heard, there is no legislation keeping real trees out of apartments. The Office of the Fire Marshal supports the use of real Christmas trees provided that the guidelines for tree care are followed. Click here to see their fire safety tips.